Saturday, July 19, 2014

Two Men

Two men sat on the old park bench,
One, jobless, homeless, without friend,
The other quite the other way,
Had more of money than he could spend,
Job and home but not a friend.
Said one, "If I had a job and home,
I could easily get a friend
To help me share my new found wealth
And help me my money spend;
But, I have neither job nor home nor friend.
The other sat with bowed down head, 
Deep in thought, at last he spoke,
"I too, once thought with a job and home
I could have a friend since I wasn't broke,
One to love me and be a real friend.
But, the years have gone swiftly by,
And, much to my disgust,
No friend has come to share with me
My job, my home.  I trust
You'll have better luck than mine and find a real friend."

And as they sat there side by side,
Great peace around them stole
And clothed them in comradeship
That's worth much more than gold.
And they knew, at last, their search was at end for a friend.

Said one who had the riches,
"You can come along home with me
And ever be close by my side
A friend to ever be; 
And I need search no more on this shore for a friend."
The poor man thanked him again and again,
Then they both arose and walked unafraid
Homeward bound together, shedding tears of joy,
For this new bargain they had made: 
The one gave of his wealth an equal part;
The other gave his all, true friendship, love of heart.

By Treva E. Stokes (1912-1980)

No comments:

Post a Comment