Wednesday, July 16, 2014

If Ever

Kind words of thoughts of folks
Do fall so willingly from my pen.
Good thoughts for I do know
That there's some good in every man.

In each there's bound tuh be
E'en tho it's just a little spark
A love light burnin' way inside
For somethin' from the heart.

Perhaps fer fellow creature
Or fer a dog or cat,
Or fer a tiny crippled bird
Picked up in an old worn hat.

If I should ever reach the place
That I think all are wrong,
An' cease tuh carry in muh heart
fer fellow men, love's song--

Then I will know my goodly heart
has changed to blackest night--
An' that's when I sincerely hope
my pen will cease to write.

By Treva E. Stokes (1912-1980)


Though I like all of Grandma's poems, this is a personal favorite of mine (Alan Stokes).

No comments:

Post a Comment