Monday, July 7, 2014

Fatherhood



Fatherhood
When did I become a father?
Was it when I named you after your grandfathers?
Was it when I added you to the family tree in my genealogy?
Was it the night I scrubbed up to witness your birth?
Was it when I saw my name on your birth certificate?
Was it the day I learned I could live on 3 hours sleep?
Was it when I told the pharmacist you were my son?
Was it when I stopped calling my dog a boy?
Was it when you smiled at me for the first time?
Was it when I took you to the doctor and Mom stayed home?
Was it when I first prayed for you?  
Was it when I cried tears of gratitude to God for the gift of you?
Was it when I took you to church on Sunday?
Was it when I showed you off at work?
It was each moment here and then some.
For being a father is not a destination but a journey.

By Alan Stokes 

June 12, 2005

Note:  This poem is intended to be added to as new experiences of fatherhood develop.
Jonathan
Pronunciation: JAHN-a-thun
Origin: Hebrew
Meaning: "Gift of God."
Notes: Related to Nathan
Biblical: the son of King Saul; 
Jonathan was noted for his manliness, generosity, and unselfishness. 
He saved David's life when Saul would have killed him.

No comments:

Post a Comment