Saturday, June 28, 2014

The Slow Goodbye

(Alzheimer's)


My mind decided to say goodbye to you,
Before my body was ready to leave you.
My mind conversed with those of another world,
Before my body was ready to say goodbye to you.

There were times you had to say goodbye to me,
Because my careless words hurt you.
Please forgive me for injuring you,
For a part of me had already left you.

I desired to live in the past and do the impossible,
And you didn't know how to satisfy me,
But you visited me and kept loving me,
As we said our good-byes slowly.

While once upon a time I held you as a child,
Recently you had to uphold me and make my decisions.
I want you to know how much I love you
And understand the depth of your constant love for me.

Although this day was unhurried in coming,
Now my body is ready to say goodbye to you.
I'm going to receive a new, immortal body and 
I shall recover the mind that Alzheimer's stole from me.

It seems that everybody wants a new body in heaven,
But when I, and 4 million Americans like me,
Think of Heaven, it will best be that joyous occasion
When our old memories and mind come back to us.

Although my gradual departure was difficult,
Always remember to hold on to the way I was
Before we started this slow, painful goodbye,
For that is how I shall be for all eternity.

I shall be waiting to embrace you on the other side,
So say a peaceful and swift goodbye to me today.
Gladly receive Jesus Christ into your heart and life,
And one day we shall worship together in the Lord's house.

By Alan T. Stokes  

December 13, 1997

For Hazel Bates (1918-1997) at her funeral.  She had Alzheimer's and said her goodbye slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment