Saturday, June 28, 2014

Saginaw Fair Time 1949

What's the excitement all about?
Why does everyone laugh and shout?
What's that feelin' hangin' in the air?
Hitch up there podner, it's the Saginaw fair.

It's a regular once a year, you see.
And it's come tuh mean a lot tuh me:
Why people come from miles around here go
Tuh the Saginaw fair.  Some fer the show
Some fer the exhibits, some fer the rides
And some fer the side shows where wonders abide.

The bally hooin' thrills us thru and thru
There's burgers an' dogs an' cold drinks, too.
Popcorn, peanuts an' fer a chew
There's fresh made taffy jest waitin' fer you.

Yipee.  When it's time fer the Saginaw fair
I can't stay away, somethin' draws me there.
Jest bein' on the grounds, makes me feel so glad
It's jest the swellest feelin' I've ever had.
Starts near my heart
    An' goes tuh my toes
          Git your bonnet, Maw, an' pocket book
                 Come on.

By Treva E. Stokes (1912-1980)
Circa, 1949

No comments:

Post a Comment