Sunday, December 14, 2014

Just the Driver in the Car

I dreamed that the Lord and I were riding in a car
Together through the highways and byways of my life.
I was driving, but Christ sat on my right hand.
He had a brake on his side just like
The driver's education instructors have.

We didn't ride in a fancy car, it was just a Dodge!
But it was faithful.
Together we rode and talked together
Through many turns in my life.
We went through storms and sunshine.

We drove the Dodge through valleys, deserts,
Mountain ranges, bridges over water, and fertile plains.
There were times we sped 65 mph in heavy traffic,
And times we drove down isolated roads.
Sometimes we traveled unpaved paths to help the poor.

But the best times of all were when we slowed down,
Especially when we parked and stopped our work.
Even then we stayed in the car together,
Resting in Divine communion.

But something troubled me, as I looked back through my life.
I noticed the troubled times of trial, temptation,
Decision, conflict, and doubt when I called upon Christ to
Navigate. I saw just the driver in the car.
I asked the Lord, and I said, "You promised you would stay
With me always, then why in the troubled times of trial and
Decision do I see just the driver in the car?"

Jesus replied, "My child, I love you and would never forsake
You in your time of trouble. When you faced doubt and
Decision and saw just the driver in the car, it was then
That I was at the wheel driving. And you were in the
Backseat resting."

Just the driver in the car. Oh, yes I understand.
When I look back through troubles in my life
And see just the driver in the car,
It was then that Christ was driving me solo.
And I was resting in the back under his care.

Just the driver in the car!
Just the driver in the car!

By Alan T. Stokes 
March 9, 1989

No comments:

Post a Comment